Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stewardship

When I purchased Black & Tan, I didn't know that much about the Commemorative Edition. I knew that it was one, but that was about it. I didn't know how many there were...and I still don't really. There are different sources with different numbers. www.saabce.com says there were 500 each in the US and Canada. So I figure that's 1000 total. Mine is #338, which I learned after some research. Is that of the US series or total? Does it matter? Given that it is a member of a limited edition, numbered series, am I obligated as the temporary steward of the car, to preserve it as original? It was a daily driver for the first ten years of it's life and it's always lived in New England. It's in good shape, but it's not pristine...and never will be...at least not with my budget. However, I dream of it being showroom new condition. I'd also like to change some things, update it if you will. Does that take away from it's originality? Does it matter? It's not worth much in terms of money. Should it be the car I want or the car that is true to it's original design and configuration? I can't decide. I've made a few changes, but nothing that can't be easily undone, to put it back to stock. I wasn't the first owner, and I may or may not be the last. Therefore, I see myself as the current 'Steward' to this car and need to ensure that I do right by it and give it it's due.

No comments: