Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pleasent Surprises

Last Friday I got my new windshield. JN Phillips Auto Glass Co. came out from New Bedford and did the job right in my driveway. It took about an hour and I got to see the whole process, which is a lot more involved than I would have thought. The installers were great, patiently answering my questions that must have seemed so obvious to them. I highly recommend JN Phillips, great customer service, prompt service and a nice neat clean job. Well done!

The windshield that was in the car, was poorly installed. As I recall it was done the first winter I had the car while it was still my daily driver...and it was really cold! The caulking that holds the glass in place was an incomplete bead at the top (that explains the damn leak) and it was all shriveled and dried out. The guys scrapped it out really well, down to metal. Then they put on pinch weld primer. Several coats since there was some minor rust. If the windshield ever has to come out again, I'll have it done at a body shop so the pinch weld can be properly repaired first. Then they put on a nice neat bead of adhesive which they preheat. That apparently helps the curing process. Then they set the new glass in place. They had pre-installed the molding strips and rubber perimeter gasket at their shop in advance. The adhesive bead spread out evenly, no ugly dollops this time. And the green tint in much much nicer on this car than the blue - in my humble opinion.

An hour after the glass was set, it was safe to drive the car. It was a beautiful afternoon, so headed off into the country to look at the foliage and enjoy the beautiful farms and pastures. The purpose was to get the engine nicely warmed up for the annual MA inspection. I like to get it done in the fall so that come spring, there is one less thing to deal with. On the way home I stopped off at the local garage I always use for inspections and they got the car right in the bay, so I waited around. About 5 minutes later the car backed out and I thought the worst...it must have failed emissions as it wasn't in nearly long enough. To my surprise the tech told me that MA no longer requires emissions tests on 1995 and older cars, just a safety check. Sweet! So I was good to go and pleased that it didn't fail...it never has before.

Black and Tan is now ready to have the cover put on and hunker down for the New England winter. The author is off to Ireland in a few days to get back to work...delivering a 75 foot sail vessel to the Caribbean. So the blog goes into brief hibernation. When I return it will be beyond the convertible driving season, but projects will commence. Stay tuned.

No comments: