Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rainy day blues...

It was too rainy and wet to drive Black & Tan today, so I decided to get started on a few of the winter projects to get them checked off the to-do list. First I installed the fuel tank level sender. The hardest part of this job was getting the wiring connector unplugged. It was really in there tight! I actually had to get the sender out of the recessed hole first, so I could use a tiny flat bladed screw driver to pry out the connector. Getting the plastic retaining ring off the sender was a chore in itself without the special tool that Saab offers for this process. In a moment of brilliance, I turned my channel locks upside down and used the handles to grip the ring through the small access hole and was able to turn the ring loose. The whole time while not cursing the Sweedes for installing this thing this way to begin with, I was pondering 'why' they did it that way. Anyhow, new used sender and greased retaining ring are installed and the wiring is back in place.

I also replaced all the interior light bulbs that were out in the glove box, ashtray and various switchpacks. I repaired (again) the y-valve in the windshield washer hose under the hood. I started detailing the dash area with Aerospace 303 protector. I began the refinishing process on the rubber spoiler extentions. More on this to follow, but there is going to be a lot sanding, dying and 303 to get them looking good. Lastly I installed a small 2amp battery maintainer that I can plug in when in the garage all winter to keep the battery up.

No comments: